Employee Spotlight: Corey Clark
This month’s Employee Spotlight we took a cruise over to Basil Resale Sheridan and got to know long time Sales Manager, Corey Clark, a little better. Corey has been a part of the Basil team since the late 80’s (!) back when Basil Resale Sheridan was a Baja Retailer (did you know!?)
- How long have you been working for Basil? Since December of 1988… I had just turned 20. Man, I feel old!
- What drew you to Basil originally? I was going to school and I did it as a part time job. I actually applied at Northtown, but I was waiting to get hired and Basil called me back first. Northtown called me the day after. It was a toss up between both places but Basil called first and that’s where I went. We were selling boats back then, Robert [Basil] was a manager here at the Baja store.
- Tell us about how you came to be Sales Manager here? I started out, part time washing cars, being a lot guy, working with the boats. At that time, I was going to pursue either school or a different career, and then in 1989, Robert said I should give it a shot…trying to sell cars, so I did that. Right then John got married, Sr. came in and revamped the dealership while John was on his honeymoon. I was basically the only one that stayed. We were at a point where the business was going to fail or succeed and obviously, it succeeded. I became Sales Manager in 1993 and here we are.
- How have things changed since you started working here? I would say the business changed more in the past 3 years than it has in the previous 15 years. The technology has completely changed everything… all the new ways to buy a car.
- What has been the best thing about working here? Building a successful team, stability, working in an industry where turnover is common and it’s not so common here. We’ve got Chris Turcharelli, 25 Years Dave O’Donoaghue 25 years, Lynn 28 years, Jason Hughes 18 years theres alot of longevity under this roof.
- What have you gained from working at Basil? I’ve built a successful career, raised a family. I’ve never forgotten this quote from Sr. “Don’t think the grass is always greener elsewhere, just fertilize the grass that you’re on” and it’s stuck with me, it’s why i’ve never bounced around.
- What’s the best work related story you have? That’s an easy one! In 1992 or 1993, Al Marshall came here to work and he came in as a salesman and he took over a management role. He then met my mother and married her. Eventually, I took over his role and became his boss. It’s a confusing one but it’s true, and it worked. They were married for 18 years until he died. Everyone in this entire dealership learned from him. He’s a huge part of mine and the dealership’s success.
- What advice can you give to prospective Basil employees? Be committed and fertilize the grass you’re on.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself? Outside of work…….2 beautiful children, coming up to my 20th wedding anniversary
- If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you? Adam Sandler
- What is your favorite thing about Buffalo? I’d have to say the people.
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be? To read minds.
- Describe yourself in one word. Dependable.
- You’re happiest when? Things are operating correctly.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you? I’m pretty much an open book, I don’t hide anything.
The post Employee Spotlight: Corey Clark appeared first on New & Used Vehicles for sale in Buffalo NY | BasilCars.com.